If you are going to embrace the mission God has given you and lead his people in that direction, there are going to be times that you have to:
- Say “no” or other difficult things
- Correct sin or confess sin
- Correct action or realign strategy
When this happens, you are going to do one of three things:
- Shy away from saying hard things directly and helpfully.
- Hurtfully say hard things out of your own power and agenda.
- Love Jesus, his mission, and his people and serve them all holy and happily.
Only the last is acceptable and it happens only when you know who you are in Christ.
No matter how gifted you are as a leader, the affirmation of God the Father’s love for you is crucial to your serving well. Fear of man fades away when you know the Father loves you like he loves Jesus. Pride fades away when you know the Father loves you, not because of your work, but because of Jesus. And you can love Jesus’ church, mission, and people truly and joyfully only when you know that God the Father will love you whether or not your church grows.
Fortunately, the Holy Spirit affirms our adoption as sons of God in ways that ought to be killing sin in us and leading us towards leading in holy and happy ways: “For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”” (Romans 8:15 ESV)
How has the Holy Spirit's affirmation of the Father’s love changed your leadership?